Wash your face twice daily to keep it oil-free, improve complexion, and prevent breakouts. You should wash your face in the morning when you get up, and in the evening before going to bed. Use lukewarm water and a facial cleanser suitable to your skin type. You can wash your face with clean hands, a washcloth, or a soft sponge.
- Follow up with some toner and moisturizer.
- If you wear makeup, remember to remove it as well.
- Don’t forget about the skin on your neck! This is often overlooked.
2Skip the hot water when bathing or showering, and use lukewarm water instead. Hot water can feel relaxing, but it can also strip your skin of its natural oils. This can lead to dry, patchy skin.
- If you have dry skin, use a moisturizing body wash with natural oils, such as almond, coconut, or olive oil.
3Gently pat your skin dry with a towel. This applies to both the skin on your face an on your body. It would be even better to leave your skin slightly damp. This way, your skin can absorb the excess moisture and re-hydrate itself.
4Apply moisturizer or lotion while your skin is still damp. Use facial moisturizers and creams on your face, and lotions or body butter on your body. Change the type of moisturizer or lotion you use depending on the season. Use a heavier, richer one during the winter, and a lighter one during the summer.
- Consider a moisturizer that contains SPF to guard your skin against the sun’s harmful rays.
- All skin types benefit from moisturizer, including oily! Opt for a lightweight or gel-based moisturizer intended for oily skin.
5Exfoliate your skin once a week. This will help buff away those dead skin cells and leave your skin feeling silky-smooth. You use scrubs, loofahs, and exfoliating sponges. Be sure to use a gentler exfoliator on your face than on the rest of your body. Remember, the skin on your face is much more delicate than the skin on your arms and legs.
- Choose exfoliating scrubs carefully. The larger the grains, the more abrasive the scrub will be. Avoid scrubs with walnut shells if you have sensitive skin.
- If you have dry skin, you may want to exfoliate daily. Be gentle about it, and always moisturize afterwards.